Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic 
Page: of 3

VS4danya

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  12:10:36 PM      
a few forums have already discussed illustrious album efforts that went unrecognized by the masses. similarly, this case applies to certain artists who have been either ill-/unrecognized, have talent but are trapped in a band/genre of comparatively lower standard that limits, hinders even, the artist's success, or one who has simply acquired an undeservedly bad reputation despite massive potential and soaring aptitude.

amir zaki - his genius is beyond our time, too far ahead to be appreciated for its true worth and groundbreaking quality. a shame, really.

ali noor - no, i'm not saying that his talent is undiscovered, just that, with the sudden emergence of a wide array of rock bands, fans have suddenly become too cool and/or hardcore to deal with hints and the occasional allusion to the pop genre. puh-leeze! all of a sudden, a downright awesome vocalist and universally competant musician of this caliber is assigned to be a "lullaby-singer" or a frivolous pop-monkey. not a just evaluation in the least.

assad ahmed's talent was suffocated and mercilessly brutalized during the awaz era, though he managed to survive the abuse sans permanent damage and continued on to shine with karavan, bravo!

all i can come up with for now...

still can't get enough of moi? questions, comments, suggestions, rishtay, creative death threats: [email protected]

misha1

Pakistan
179 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  1:11:42 PM      
Nice thread, Danya.

I totally agree about Aamir Zaki, as long as he doesn't try to sing.
As for Ali Noor, you took the words right out of my mouth. People slag off Noori as a pop band but I think that may be the band's own fault. Most people aren't aware of the Coven days plus SJMHJ does have definite pop overtones. I'm hoping in the next few albums the true Ali Noor shines, as well as the rest of the band.

dezyre

Pakistan
218 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  1:19:40 PM        
Asad Ahmed and Karavan as a whole!
Tracks by Karavan are so damn good still they never made it big!
it`s surprising ppl dinto go ballistic over gardish and safar...beautiful tracks!

www.noori4life.cjb.net
maza araha hai?

Jibran-Aslam

Pakistan
38 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  1:43:04 PM      
Misha, the next album is pretty much same as the 1st one melody wise. Lyrically I would say almost the same. Musically it is more powerful. The drums are pretty good. The sequenced version is very powerful at least. I do not know how it would turn out when we actually record the acoustic drums. You are right some of the melodies in the 1st album are like Popular music but labeling them just Pop is simply lack of knowledge. We have people calling EP Alternative (with Woh Woh and Ho Ho ana A-Ha vocals, supposedly very different from lala), then we have Razam self-proclaiming themselves as Punk. I guess we all get away with murders every now and then. What is Junoon now with sequenced bass and drums? A mystery perhaps.

Jibran

*** Stupid "sister" got caught once again. Thanks for being stupid ***

sidri

Pakistan
129 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  1:47:12 PM    
Definitely mizraab. I don't fancy Faraz Anwer's vocals but that guy knows how to play the guitar. The few songs that i have heard are amazing. Simply amazing. Too bad there having sponsor problems for their first album, but their time will come.

Just Plain Confused.

safwat

9 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  2:52:53 PM      
Really looking forward to Mizraab's album. The samples that I heard were amazing.

It's not the lyrics that makes a band alternative or pop but the music and the melody. If someone was to sing Lalala to the tune of Jeremy with the same arrangement that Jeremy has - it would still be an alternative song. But if you would sing Jeremy lyrics to the tune of lets say Oops, I did It Again with the arrangement of the original Britney song then it would be a pop song.

blah.

Edited by - safwat on 05 December 2003 5:40:23 PM

dezyre

Pakistan
218 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  4:59:41 PM        
Mizraab! Watching them perform last night was an amazing experience-and it was a showcase for their upcoming album [scheduled to release in the next 2 weeks or so]. Faraz has improved alot in vocals. And about the guitaring, one word-wow.

www.noori4life.cjb.net
maza araha hai?

tWiStEd dEviL

Pakistan
53 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  5:02:30 PM    
Omg. what is wrong with the forum!?!? Why is my reply coming with dezyres nick?

Christ is coming..so am I..you would too if the sexy devil caught your eye

xenon

54 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  5:52:14 PM      
lol i think their may be a resemblance between your and his ip , and as he may not be logged off , you were able to post with his nick

Rozire

Pakistan
42 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  8:13:02 PM      
lol no it doesn't work like that, the forum code is malfunctioning, report it to brainless in the bugs forum.

Mera Dil Lahore Main Dafan Karna .. Aur Mera Jism Jo Chaho So Karo.

minhas

Pakistan
511 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  9:08:00 PM          
hmm i liked a band called saptak but it dsappeared. their song MIL KAY USAY was so cute.. see if u can get it!

Never Trouble Trouble Till Trouble Troubles You
[So better Not Trouble Me] [BEWARE]
�B�B�K�R M��Hŧ [http://www.nooristan.tk]

SN0
Average Member

260 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  10:56:14 PM    
"fans have suddenly become too cool and/or hardcore to deal with hints and the occasional allusion to the pop genre" Exactly! Ali Noor is one of the BEST rock vocalists in Pakistan now, and not only because of his Coven days and unreleased Noori material, even in SKMHJ his vocals and composition are something very special. Too many people have been saying undeservingly rude remarks about Noor being a teenybop musician and Noori being a gay pop act. Safwat is right, the lalala doesn't make Noori any less rock than it claims to be, even though there are hints of pop in the album, it's most definitely a nice effect.

Jibran, you said "the next album is pretty much same as the 1st one melody wise. Lyrically I would say almost the same. Musically it is more powerful." What can you say about the concept of the album? How about Noori's improvement, would you say they are getting better, more innovative? What can we expect and when? Sorry to hassle you with the numerous questions!

You guys may not agree with me but I think Nabeel of Aaroh has better potential than what he's being given credit for now, the rest of Aaroh might be holding him back. In eP I must say the same for Zulfi, because the other band members are okay, but not up to his level and if he had some better band material to work with it could be something very special.

The good days are gone, the quest for life begins.....

Jibran-Aslam

Pakistan
38 Posts

Posted - 06 December 2003 :  03:41:28 AM      
quote:
Originally posted by minhas

hmm i liked a band called saptak but it dsappeared. their song MIL KAY USAY was so cute.. see if u can get it!

I could definitely get that song for you. It was a decent song. Drums were annoying but it was a great effort. The video concept I really liked. The song got stuck on number 5 on MCC for some reason. Suptak did another song before Milkay Ussay. I could get that song too. Once I convert the cassettes/DAT to MP3 I would put them up.

Huma, the song you requested, Purani Car by Message, I got it for you. Just need to convert them to MP3 and upload it.

Sawfat, indeed the lyrics do not make the band Alternative or Pop. It is the melody and music. I very much agree with you except the lala, woh woh, hay hay, hee hee etc would be part of the vocal melody.

SNO, Yes, the second album is also a concept album. I am not crazy about concept albums. So far we have had only 2 bands with proper and VERY different concept than before. EP and Noori. Aaroh did claim their album is also concept based on love. But EP�s and Noori�s concept was pretty prominent. Back to the second album, musically it is more powerful. Vocal melodies are awesome. It just grows on you. They are defiantly getting better and move innovative. I love Noor�s rhythm playing but I am not a big fan of his solos. That is where Noori still needs some improvement. Noor knows how to play, he could play fast and shred but there is something that is missing in his solos (my personal feeling) Other people are very much happy with his solos. Most of the people I know at least. I haven�t heard any of Hamza�s work as yet except for BC and Gawalmandi. So I am looking forward to listen to his work IF Hamza gets to play in the studio.

About Nabeel, you are absolutely right. The rest of the band is holing him back. I was simply blown away from his guitar work. Before Nabeel I rated Noor number 1 for the best guitar effects. But now Nabeel has topped my list. His guitar tones are amazing. He is planning to sell his digi tech processor to my friend to get even a better guitar effect processor. At this time he is very under-rated I believe. The same goes with Shallam. They both are amazing guitar players. Nabeel is maybe one album away to replace Asad Ahmed for me.

About Zulfiqar, you might want to listen to his Fruity Loops creation first which is a non-EP effort. But he is a good composer though. If he works with good musicians they could write some great songs.

Now about something related to the topic. I would like to say one thing that excessive use of strings sound (Rohail�s trademark) or special sound effects (generated by keyboard or software) is not common in Alternative music. When I say common I actually mean influence. Of course if a band wants to do it they could but that is deviating from the actual soul of Alternative. Perfect example would be the old band Roxette. What would we call them? They were Rock but hardly any Rock radio station played them because they were very much influenced by keyboards.

Jibran

VS4danya

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 06 December 2003 :  7:28:10 PM      
jibran, rohail was going for the soft rock, pink floyd sort of effect, no? not exactly full-blown alternative rock nor plainly conventional pop.

najam sheraz seems to be going backwards. where he could've continued to flourish with karavan, he decided to unearth a solo career which has been relatively ineffective in creating much fervor. why did he leave karavan, aside from the religious sabbatical from music? why pull away from something with prospective potential to rock the scene?

the members of fuzon compliment each other quite well, although i don't know too much about immu. definitely a well-balanced act.

hopefully the next noori album will clear some prevailing misconceptions? the allusions to pop seem to be a commercial strategy in mass appeal, as we all know pakistanis aren't too keen on embracing new talent, much less new talent presenting novel types of music.

still can't get enough of moi? questions, comments, suggestions, rishtay, creative death threats: [email protected]

SN0
Average Member

260 Posts

Posted - 09 December 2003 :  10:14:31 PM    
Jibran, Nabeel and Shallum are most definitely under-rated guitarists at this point, especially Nabeel. His work in Aaroh is not given as much attention as it should and that's why I feel they're holding him back and not using him to his full potential. In Sanwal the solos could have been better and more effective if more attention was given to Nabeel, in my opinion.

The reason I said that Zulfi was also being held back by eP was the exact reason you hilighted: "If he works with good musicians they could write some great songs" With eP we get to view some great compositions but the other band members and Fawad don't work on the same level. I was blown away by Call's Nishaan and Zulfi is behind their compositions and I think the lyrics too, right? I thought, if Zulfi gets to work with the likes of a vocalist of Junaid Khan level and some excellent guitarists, then he can really get somewhere!

Yeah, what happend to Najam Sheraz? I never did find out why he left Karavan for a solo career worth not even half of it. He's a strong vocalist and "Sona Chahta Hoon" was one of his great works but he makes bad career decisions.

The good days are gone, the quest for life begins.....

Xpressionless

Pakistan
228 Posts

Posted - 10 December 2003 :  03:34:05 AM        
i heard mazi hal mustaqbil, and couldnt change ma views abt faraz anwars vocals... musically its goood album..
aamir zaki will b on top of ma undercelebrated artists as he hardly come up wid new work... atleast faraz is producing and playin for many bands... abt noori.. i agree wid jibs bro tht ppl call thm pop coz of lack of knwledge of music... they sound more like a punk rock band [according to me and ali noor himself].

Mobeen

Pakistan
192 Posts

Posted - 10 December 2003 :  2:28:44 PM          
hey...what about WARIS BAIG, TARIQ TAFFOO and ARIF LOHAR?! They're AWESOME yet uncelebrated singers of our time ohh not to mention SALEEM JAVED!

Jibran-Aslam

Pakistan
38 Posts

Posted - 11 December 2003 :  10:38:35 AM      
Asalam O Alaykum.

Danya, yes, Rohail was a million miles away from achieving the Alternative sound. Actually back in 1995, NFP and Aamir Hassan were among very few people in our country who were familiar with Alternative music. Rohail indeed was reaching for Pink Floyd sound.

SNO, the reason why Najjam left Karavan is #1 their 1st album did not attract a lot of people since rock was not very much popular back then. #2 financial reasons. It cost nothing to record Karavan�s albums but sharing hand full of money they got from the record label with 2 more band members was not feasible for Najjam. Matter of fact Najjam collected RS200,000 from Dr. Riffat for his debut solo album Khazana. Imagine sharing this hehehe. But these days if you are good and in demand you could collect way much more.

Immu has been around for ages. God, I can�t even remember. He is a better producer than a keyboardist. He knows how to make melodies in a matter of few minutes. Not many composers/musicians have this gift ;) Ahem, ahem.

Jibran

tWiStEd dEviL

Pakistan
53 Posts

Posted - 11 December 2003 :  11:11:03 AM    
Jibran, thank you so much for getting that song. Truly the song is a classic. Would anyone have the tapes of that show was well?

Christ is coming..so am I..you would too if the sexy devil caught your eye

Vandal

Pakistan
18 Posts

Posted - 11 December 2003 :  11:26:05 AM    
quote:
Originally posted by tWiStEd dEviL

Omg. what is wrong with the forum!?!? Why is my reply coming with dezyres nick?

mera nick tu Vandal he nazer a raha hai na aap subko ?

Bands like Circle,Sequencers milestone r never discussed anywhere
Atleats people know aamir zaki's name but 80% of pak poulation didnt heard FARAZ n Mekaal's name , no need to mention how capable these guys are.
JIb i agree Nabeel has done amazing job in guitar's sounds but beleive me u have to open up ur list once again cause Sampooran is going to release very soon probably in couple of month .
MHB's second video is already launched n shooting of their third video "SAJAN" will star soon.
You talk bout RAZAM , is that the same band who shot their first video in " Maut ka Kuan "? the SLIPKNOT wannabs , i donno the name of that song but to me its like a riff off of EYE OF THE TIGER a famous Rocky soundtrack .
I think i already said 4,5 things in one post

Resist the UsuaL!

Edited by - Vandal on 11 December 2003 11:27:45 AM

Ozzy

United Arab Emirates
112 Posts

Posted - 13 December 2003 :  1:58:59 PM    
I think Nusrat Hussain's Amrith was a really good album that went unnoticed. The Milestones were great too.

Ozzy_Magical Alliances Are Everywhere
Page: of 3  Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
nooriworld.net // official forum © 2002-03 nooriarts. All rights reserved.
Snitz Forums 2000